Where I write about knitting, crocheting and lace, and, on occasion general comments on other topics

Stitch Patterns: The Bee Stitch and Knitting 1 Below

Written by: Lindy

As I have been knitting the different dishcloth patterns in my Summer Knitting project, it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to write a post in this blog about how to do some of the textured stitch patterns used in knitting the dishcloths. So, I am starting with the Bee Stitch.

Bee Stitch

The Bee Stitch is an easy textured stitch pattern and it produces an interesting textured fabric. It is a variation of the garter stitch and the edges do not roll. I think it would make a nice textured scarf or baby afghan. It certainly made a nice dishcloth.

The Bee Stitch is a multiple of 2 stitches plus 1 over 4 rows. It is made by “knitting 1 below (K1b)” and you need to have an odd number of stitches.
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: (Right Side): *(K1, K1b); Repeat from * across to last stitch K1.
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: *(K1b, K1); repeat from * across to last stitch, K1b.
Repeat these 4 rows for desired length of fabric. This 4 row repeat creates a diagonal patterning.

To “Knit 1 Below” , you put the tip of your needle through the center of the stitch below the stitch on the needle and slip off both strands at the same time. Tip – make certain that you are going through the center of the stitch below and can see the two strands of yarn when pulling the yarn through the stitch.

Knit 1 below

Here is a link to a YouTube video demonstrating “Knit 1 Below”: Knitting Demo Video.

References:
Kitchen Bright Dishcloths, Leisure Arts
Knitting on the Net (www.knittingonthenet.com)

8 Responses to “Stitch Patterns: The Bee Stitch and Knitting 1 Below”

1. Amanda says:

Wow I like the texture that stitch seems to have. I’ll have to try it out sometime!

I will be there tonight with my shawl.

2. Babs Wratten says:

I couldn’t view the video, but I am not sure I understand. Does the K1b increase the # of stitches? Do you pull it up to knit with your regular stitch?

3. Thank you! This looks plush, and I’d like to try to work the stitch into boot cuffs.
    Cheers, Avis

4. LindyBeir says:

The K1b does not increase the number of stitches. When you “knit one below” you go into the stitch loop below the stitch on the needle and knit it like a regular knit stitch — you simply pull it off along with the stitch loop on the needle.

5. Anasuya Roy says:

I knit a lot for newborns and was looking for a simple pattern with a chunky look…Thank you very much and do keep posting.

6. Suzi Wolfe says:

This deep texture, with lots of warmth-trapping air pockets, will be great for winter scarves!

7. Tjayne says:

k1b means knit one through back of stitch. I hope that makes sense.

8. LindyBeir says:

I did some research on this — I only found one reference that stated that k1b may mean “knit 1 through the back loop”, but the reference also said that k1b may also mean “knit one below”. Three other references all gave k1b as “knit one below”.

“knit one through back of stitch” is often abbreviated as kb or kbtl.

In the case of the Bee Stitch pattern — k1b definitely means “knit one below” NOT “knit one through back of stitch”. Readers — please read the explanation of how to do the “knit one below” — if you knit through the back of the stitch and not below — your Bee Stitch will not be correct.